Stuff that pops into my head. Innit.

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Soundgarden - Telephantism

Remember way back when Chris Cornell had never met Timbaland, before he'd done possibly the worst cover in history (he murdered Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" -not a great song to begin with), before he'd convinced the 3 members of Rage against the Machine who weren't Zack de la Rocha to join him in AudioSlave and proceed to do the 2nd worst cover in history (a horrible attempt at The Clash's "White Riot" -which was a great song to begin with)
Remember back then? If you do, congratulations, you're quite old.

Looking California, feeling Minnesota, Hair by Alaska


However, being old(ish) has it's advantages, one of them being that you remember things most around you have forgotten, and the thing I'm talking about here is the band Soundgarden.

Having a rougher, more metallic edge to them than their contemporaries from the grunge/Seattle scene and were, -for me at least- only behind Sonic Youth and Alice in Chains for the 10 years or so of the late 80's - mid 90's rock revival.

Much better, Christopher


However, as I noted in the opening paragraph, things change.

Though comprised of some fundamentally great songs, Telephantism inexplicably omits bonafide classics like The Day I Tried To Live. Combined with the fact that there is no better introduction to Soundgarden than their insurmountably impressive 1994 album Superunknown along with the knowledge that 1997’s A-Sides is a better “Greatest hits” collection, why do you want this?

Well, If you’ve never heard them before, I guess it’s ok as an introduction, or if you’re a completist there’s one new song and some live stuff on the deluxe version, aside from that, it’s just an echo of a time long gone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know, Fizz, I was planning on spending a considerable amount of time either later today or tomorrow to catch up on all my blogs, but I saw Chris Cornell in my Dashboard and I just had to take a peek.

I will be frank with you. I have masturbated hundreds of times to the image of a 1990s Chris Cornell. He is as close to the physical imbodiment of human male perfection as I have seen a male get (and I am head over heels for my very blond haired blue eyed hubby). His voice to me is so sweet and melodic, it makes me woozy sometimes.

Aside from that (and that MAY have been TMI), you and me are on the EXACT same page about Chris Cornell and Soundgarden. I wanted to vomit when I heard that Timbaland shit and other than a few catchy Audioslave tunes, I am not down with it.

I long for a time when Chris Cornell was Soundgarden and Kurt Cobain was still alive singing his heart out in a dress.

I am old too, my friend. Shall we enjoy a Geritol libation now?

fizzee rascal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fizzee rascal said...

Hmmm, yeah, I cant say I liked them that much. :)

Pass the Sanatogen.

Anonymous said...

Soundgarden were shit. Like your blog

fizzee rascal said...

Hey look, it's a lesser spotted tardbill

Mrs Midnite said...

Amber never again can I look at Chris Cornell again without thinking of you. I am not sure this is a good thing?

Fizzie whats a tardbill?

fizzee rascal said...

A tardbill is a the most stupid creature in the whole animal kingdom.