Stuff that pops into my head. Innit.

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Tabloid Newspapers

I've never quite understood why they are as popular as they are - they don't really report the news, their sports coverage is amateurish compared to the broadsheets etc- but today one in particular has set itself and the rest of them a new standard to follow.
The Sun, a paper previously famous only for showing boobs on page 3 has outdone itself, for the lead story on it's front page is this

"Redknapp signs Russian Donkey"

I know what you're thinking, "What, another one? isn't Roman Pavlyuchenko enough?".

This is actually a real donkey, the very same one that was famously tied to a parachute and flown over the Black Sea resort of Golubitskaya last week.
I have no doubt that Hawwy's intentions are noble and he deserves none of the scorn pouring from my keyboard right now, but the fact of the matter is that the most read newspaper in our land considers the single most important event taking place right now in the entire world is Harry Redknapp rehousing a donkey.
Not the plane crash in Pakistan.  Not the state of emergency in Peru. Not one of 100 worthy stories.

Harry and a donkey.

I'm not sure what this says about Britain as a nation, but I don't reckon it's something good.



A donkey yesterday, shortly after being rescued by Harry Redknapp.

2 comments:

The Beans said...

Poor donkey...

I suppose it got tired of giving the kiddies rides on the beach?

-French Bean

fizzee rascal said...

I guess. I'd rather be made to parascend over a Russian tourist resort than spend the rest of my life with Mr Redknapp though