Stuff that pops into my head. Innit.

Tuesday 2 March 2010

Cover versions

A tricky and slightly controversial subject, some people love them, some think they verge on herecy-I can fall into either camp depending on the song and who's doing the cover.

Good as the original or better.

Reuben-The hand that feeds. Done on their "Rest Of" compilation " Should Have Gone To University" this is a really good cover of Trent Reznor's original. A cover of Gorillaz' Feel Good Inc. is also on this album, but it's not quite as successful as the NIN song.

Jeff Buckley/Led Zeppelin- When the Levee Breaks. This is so different from the original ( A happy go lucky Delta Blues classic) that it's almost a different song. Buckley's version is slightly superior for me simply because of his angelic voice. On a side note, A Perfect Circle do a dreamy Trip Hop version which is rather nice too.

Orgy - Blue Monday. A guitar heavy rocked up version of the new order classic. I like it a lot, but I can see people not really going for this one.

Deftones - Passenger.  Not the Iggy Pop song or even the Elton John one, but a little known Duran Duran track and it's brilliant. Chino and the boys also do a great cover of Sade's No Ordinary Love too.

Worse than the Original/Shouldn't Have Bothered

Johnny Cash - Hurt/Rusty Cage. I know a lot of people like Cash's cover of Hurt, but for me it loses the desperation of Reznors' original-the feeling of a young man in the deepest pit of despair- And just doesn't work as well. His cover of Soundgardens' Rusty Cage sounds like something rejected from the Rawhide soundtrack. Fail.

Chris Cornell - Billy Jean. Oh god. If I thought Cash's cover of Hurt wasn't up to much, this abomination nearly made me fall off my chair. I wasn't a fan of the original, but this is, well, shit. No other words can describe it. The worst cover since Audioslave decided to ruin The Clash's "White Riot"

Glee. Fuck off.

No comments: