Stuff that pops into my head. Innit.

Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Naked and Famous - Passive me, Aggressive you

So, a couple of days ago I'm sitting here at the PC and my daughter Gabi is watching the music channels on the TV as she often does, nothing too unusual there,  but a song comes on and it's very, very good "Who's this, MGMT?" I enquire, "No, I don't know who it is, but it's a girl singing" Hmm. Anyway, we subsequently find out the name of the band and neither of us had heard of them -which, to be fair is a fairly unusual occurrence. A quick google shows me that they're from New Zealand -well you can't have everything- and that the song in question (Punching in a Dream) is in fact their second single. "Terrific", you're thinking, "but what does this have to do with the album?" Well, nothing. But if the first time I hear a band they remind me of MGMT, they're going to be good. Very good. And they are, because PM,AY is a stunning debut album.
There are plenty of 80's and 90's influences at work here, all the way from Duran Duran to Pretty Hate Machine style Nine Inch Nails through Ride style Shoegaze to hints of early Chemical Brothers on the song Spank, and all of these myriad influences are wrapped in a bunch of Indie loveliness.
This is a great album -and one that'll be hard to follow, intriguingly- and it would have figured in my top 10 of 2010 if I'd gotten it earlier.

Go and get it.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Uhhh Punching in a Dream is a song I really despise. I think MGMT are good and perhaps the Naked and Famous are too, but I find this song far too annoying for my taste.

Especially when it's early in the morning, I'm still half asleep, and this song comes blaring through my radio!

Starts with one said...

They are MGMT like and remind of Shiny Toy Guns a little as well.

Anyway, good find.

fizzee rascal said...

I thought you'd like them tbh Tom. Nevermind, eh?

Starts, good call on STG, you're right.

Unknown said...

The originals (mostly the vocals to blame) aren't my thing, but I'm loving all of the "Young Blood" remixes.