Stuff that pops into my head. Innit.

Thursday 6 January 2011

Gorillaz - The Fall

A new Gorillaz album so soon after Plastic Beach? Well yes, sort of.
The Fall is the first album to be recorded on an Ipad, and it plays out as a kind of diary of Gorillaz very long North American tour -which is fine- but I don't think I'd have been overly happy if I'd paid money for it.
I’m not sure whether it’s because of the limitations of the Ipad, but this album doesn't have the usual and unmistakeable Gorillaz feel that the other ones have had. Put it this way, if you didn't know you were listening to Gorillaz, you wouldn't be able to tell from over half of this album. That's not a good thing, although this might work as dinner party ambience music, I'm fairly sure that's not what they were after.

This album was never going to be Damon Albarn’s greatest work. It was written on an Ipad while on tour after all. Experimentation can either go great, or very wrong. It looks like it’s the latter this time. I hope this is not the last we hear from Gorillaz -as has been rumoured- because if it is, they haven’t ended on a great note.

No comments: