Stuff that pops into my head. Innit.

Monday 14 March 2011

2012

Not that incredibly tedious and frankly rubbish effects fest starring John Cusack and Thandie Newton, or even the forthcoming summer olympics to be held in London, but rather the Mayan prophecy of the world as we know it ending in 2012.
Now previously, I -like you, I suspect- had dismissed this as rubbish, merely the end of time from the perspective of some long dead and largely forgotten Central American shamen.
Lately though, I've been wondering if there might be more to it than it first appears -bear with me, I haven't gone mad- the terrible earthquakes and resultant tsunami which have just devastated a large tract of Japan is just the latest in a seires of terrible natural disasters. Just off the top of my head I can name terrible floods in Bangladesh, Australia, Peru and Brazil. Earthquakes in Chile, New Zealand, China and Haiti. Massive tsunami in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean. Volcanos erupting in Iceland and the Phillippines. I'm bound to have missed some or forgotten a few, but my point is I can never remember so many disasters in such a short time span. Is something going on, are we building up to a major cataclysm or is it just coincidence?

I think I might be changing my mind.

Did they get it right?


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more. I was sceptical at first and these disasters are probably coincidences more than anything. But with each disaster it does make me think more about the 2012 prophecy and how realistic it's becoming.

Unknown said...

i don't buy into the religious aspect of it, but i do think about prophecy and the intense anguish the world is going through now ... it's really fucked up

Liam Lorigan said...

yeah this line of thought has been creeping up. Not a believer thought that the world as we know it will end. Millennium bug anyone? Sure natural disasters are happening but we have like 6.5 billion people on the world if anything Nature is just trying to balance it up.

fizzee rascal said...

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I guess we'll find out next yhear either way.

killermillar said...

indeed we will. i just hope im doing something meaningful or pleasant when the time comes. like being in the toliet, too wrapped up in my own bodily processes to give a damn :D lol.

Anonymous said...

NO FIZZEE!!! Don't turn to the dark side!!

My BIL is ocnvinced the world will be ending in 2012, so he has decided to go the church and try to pray to save his heathen ass.

He is thisclose from digging a hole in the back yard, stocking it with can goods and sitting there waiting for the end to come. I told him that I would buy him a shovel if he needed it.

fizzee rascal said...

I was just thinking out loud really. I don't think the world will end, but I do think we might be in for some major changes.